Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Ode to the Special Quesadilla

Last Saturday, we headed to El Centro for a visit with my family. We left the rain in San Diego and traveled east to spend a day 'where the sun spends winter'. For those of you that don't know, that is El Centro's motto. After a short visit with my mom, dad and sister's family, we went to see my grandpa. He spent the last few years in Yuma, but it is nice to have him home. Following that, we went to lunch--of course it was Mexican food. My favorite restaurant (La Hacienda) is closed on the weekends, so we went to La Fonda where Grayson got to experience his first taste of a special quesadilla. Special quesadillas are native to Imperial Valley and they are pure and utter, gooey, cheesy, deep-fried goodness. There is nothing like it. I've described them to people and they compare them to things like empanadas. There is no comparison. Special quesadillas are the best ever and La Fonda makes them well. A special quesadilla must take up at least two-thirds of an oval plate. If it doesn't, then it is just not right. Basically, it is a quesadilla made with raw, almost pastry-like, dough sealed together and deep fried. It is heaven on a plate, let me tell ya! A trip to El Centro is not complete without getting a special quesadilla. We cut some up for Grayson, and he ate it all up. The first of many, I'm sure.

Trying

and liking.

After lunch, we went to the California Mid-Winter Fair with my dad. We walked in the barns and looked at the animals. We took had a family photo session in a photo booth (and recognized a very large haired man who has been handing out tokens for those for at least 15 years). We tried taking Grayson on the giant slide, but the carnie wouldn't let us. We walked in and out of the buildings. We left after only a few hours--not much you can do with a 1 year old--and eventually made the trek back home.
On Sunday morning, we went to one of our favorite places in San Diego. Point Loma Seafood has great food with a nice, casual atmosphere. We had a late lunch and enjoyed watching the boats. Grayson had fun watching the birds and threw most of his food on the ground. After that, we let him walk around for a little bit then went home feeling stuffed. Last weekend was a good eats weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Kelly, you're a quesadilla pusher and I bet Grayson's now hooked! I couldn't get Keith to enjoy them like I do, but I sure hope Ethan will be a fan. Love the new photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Grayson's new kicks. ;) He is getting so big. We need to get together for dinner soon. Let me tell ya', my mouth is now watering for a darn quesadilla!!! I have not yet had one since getting to eat real food again!!

    ReplyDelete