Thursday, February 11, 2010

Just Wait and the Crocodile Hunter

This past weekend, Jerry and I left Grayson with our parents while we enjoyed fabulous San Francisco. The first night, Grayson stayed with Dennis and Cathy. The second night, Grayson stayed with my parents. Each one of them said that he was fine. I think unless he had one of the three b's, (blood, broken bones, or blowing chow), they would have said that he was fine. Jerry and I enjoyed our first trip sans diapers and bottles. It was so much fun. We walked across the Golden Gate Bridge, went to Alcatraz and ate yummy food. It was so nice to get away and "sleep in"-- if you can call 6:45 sleeping in.



This weekend, we will celebrate Grayson's first birthday. I can not believe my baby is walking. He is still crawling some, but is walking more and more each day. I love this kid! I thank God every day that I'm the lucky one that gets to be his mom. Jerry and I waited a long time to have a baby and I'm so glad we did. We had some good times, just the two of us. We were selfish in our marriage and wanted to do what we wanted to do, when we wanted to do it. When my sister had her first kid, she became Mother Earth. She was meant to be a mom (and is a great one). I always had so much fun with her kids and felt like they were partly mine, but I still wasn't ready. Then I became ready. The love was so prevalent between my sister and her kids and I wanted that.


Some old pics of my little man and my big man.

When we first had Grayson, so many people told us, "Just wait. It gets better." or "Just wait until they do (insert topic here), that is the best." We were a little put off by it, because it sounded like whatever stage we were in, it wasn't as good as (insert topic here). Well, I'm here to say that it doesn't get better. I'm just as elated, overjoyed, excited, etc. as I was one year ago. Although I'm not as sleep deprived. It's not better, it is just different. I would sit for hours holding Grayson and staring at him. I miss that. I can't do that now. He won't let me.

Being a mom is not all fun and games. I feel like I'm Steve Irwin, wrestling a crocodile every time I change Grayson's diapers or clothes. I never thought that I'd be immune to someone elses pee, poop, throw up, etc. I'm lucky if I look in my purse and the the first thing I pull out is not a toy, pair of socks or teether. I'm lucky if I can leave the house without smelling like A&D, desitin, or some other butt paste (or wearing them). I'm lucky if I can get through making a meal without having little hands pulling at my pant legs. I have those nights (like last night) when I'm up for upwards of two hours dealing with an upset baby--thank goodness those are few and far between *knock on wood*.


Grayson was about 5 months in this pic.
With it all, I'm loving my life. I'm lucky to have this little guy in my life. I'm lucky to have those moments when I could sit and stare at him for hours. I'm lucky to be the one that he wants to make him feel better. I'm lucky to see this beautiful boy grow. I'm lucky to have such a strong and good and loving family that is helping raise Grayson. I'm lucky to have a husband that will do anything for me and his son--even if he doesn't always read my mind. I'm lucky to be living the life that I'm living.

After Jerry read this post, he smiled and said, "Hey Kel. Tell everyone to 'just wait' for the next post." Ayy, that Jerry. Always the jokester.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, I'm all verklempt! Thanks sis! We are all so happy that you brought us Baby Gray & can't wait to celebrate today! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete