Sunday, August 8, 2010

Camping

After a whirlwind of family parties, we woke up at 2:00am to leave for one week of camping in the Sierra Mountains. We just got back yesterday and I have not downloaded my pictures yet (but will soon). We had a great time with old friends and met some new ones. I work with two sisters who each have a girl around Grayson's age. One of them, Jennifer, goes camping with a group of people each year. She invited her sister and me (along with our families) this year. Here we are, camping about 15 minutes outside of Mammoth, introductions are being made and one girl who was camping with her grandparents said, "You look really familiar. Do you work at TdS?" Even being seven hours away, I'm still running into students! It turns out her grandparents are friends with Jennifer and she came along for the ride.
Grayson has never been as dirty as he was last week. Actually all of the 1 year olds were constantly dirty. Yes, they did get bathed each night. I mean, we are talking dirt from head to toe. Jerry nicknamed them Bravehearts because their faces were just caked with dirt. It got to the point where we all just gave up and gave in.
Common phrases from the parents this week:
**"Ouchie! Hot! No touch!"--When the kids went near the fire pits (regardless of weather they were really hot or not).
**"No dirt angels!"--Grayson loved laying down in the dirt and creating dirt angels (the same as snow angels).
**"Here's an otter pop."--We all learned quickly that otter pops can fix just about anything.
**"No! Yucky! Don't eat that _________ (rock, sand, dirt, food off of the dirt)."--No explanation necessary.
The guys fished, the kids waded in the streams, the ladies shopped, we all hiked (Well, except the kids. They were all carried in hiking backpacks.) We saw beautiful scenery, went to historical landmarks, rode the gondolas to the top of Mammoth Mountain, and sat around by campfires eating smores (after the babies were asleep--fire + babies = disasters). Now I have so much laundry to do that I moved my car out of the garage just to separate it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment