Okay, I know that I said that I'd post pictures but I still have not downloaded them. The past few days have been crazy. Jerry was supposed to have surgery last night. He got the call last week saying that they'd found a match. (Backing up here, he has osteochondritus dissecans--basically the bone in his knee is dead/dying. It snaps, crackles and pops on a regular basis. It keeps him from doing activities that he would like to do. It will swell up for no reason sometimes, and it is just plain painful. He needs to get it replaced so they need a donor bone--cadaver bone-- to replace it. It needs to be a match though; same age, frame, etc.)
So the surgery was scheduled for 5:00 last evening, but he had to be at the hospital at 3:00 for pre-op. The surgery was supposed to take 2-2.5 hours. So, Grayson and I drop him off at 3:00 and wait until the nurse takes him back to prepare him. I bring Grayson home, Cathy (Jerry's mom) picks him up and takes him to her house to spend the night. I plan to meet Laura (Jerry's sister) at the Rubio's across from the hospital at 5:45 for dinner, then we were going to go the hospital and wait for Jerry to get out of surgery.
So everything is going as planned, we eat dinner, then it happens. I get a call at about 6:30 from the nurse saying that they had to cancel Jerry's surgery because Fed Ex lost the bone. There is a short window of time for this surgery to happen. So they'd prepped Jerry, gave him some mild seditives (nothing to big, he was awake and coherent the whole time), hooked him up to an IV, and shaved his leg. They weren't going to put him completely under until they were ready to slice and dice. The procedure is to track the package, so they start the surgery when the package is en route and so many minutes away. When the doctor was trying to locate where the package was and was told that it was missing, he was stunned. This had never happened to him before. He came in and told Jerry what was going on and said that he had one more phone call to make. He made the phone call (Jerry said that he heard him yelling on the phone) and came back in and told him that they could not find the package and had to cancel the surgery. Jerry told him that he would stay there all night until they found the package (this, after he had gone all day without eating or drinking). The doctor said that it was too late (by this time it was almost 6:00 and the surgery was supposed to start an hour earlier). Even if they had found the package at that moment, the bone would have been dead. Like I said, precise timing here.
He did say that Jerry is number one on the priority list, but that really doesn't make a difference since the bone needs to be a match. Needless to say, last night was a very big let down. Jerry is going back on the list and we're hoping that he will get the call in the next couple weeks saying that a bone is available. If he doesn't get that call soon, then he'll have to wait until after the baby is born. On the flip side, we both are able to go to a Karli's wedding today. Karli is a cousin of Jerry's and is a doll. And, we'll both be able to go to our nephew's (Sammy) birthday party tomorrow. Looking for a silver lining here. I believe that everything happens for a reason and it just was not meant to be at this time. Hopefully, next time it will work out. Although Jerry said that next time, I'm not allowed to leave the hospital. Give me a good book and I'm there.
No comments:
Post a Comment