Sunday, January 23, 2011

Almost Two Weeks

It has been almost two weeks since Jerry's surgery and everything is looking on the up and up. We've had family members bring us dinners (Thanks!) and lots of phone calls and visitors wondering how we are all doing. The first question is directed toward Jerry, "How are you doing?" The answer is really well. Jerry had a really hard time moving his leg for the first few days. It made getting in and out of the car really painful for him. Since he has used the machine, he is able to move it much more easily. When Dr. O called him, he said to use the machine from 0-60 degrees. After two days of doing that, he emailed the dr. to see if he could (or should) go farther than that. Dr. O said that there was no limit and to do it as much as he can take. The ultimate goal is for Jerry to actively (move the leg on it's own) and passively (move the leg with the help of something--the machine, his other leg, etc) move his leg. So, Jerry is up to about 100 degrees on the machine. He is able to passively move his leg much easier than actively move it, but that is coming. He went to his first physical therapy appointment last Wednesday. The therapist was very impressed with the mobility that Jerry had just one week after his surgery. He showed him how to do certain exercises and Jerry is supposed to do those three times a day, in addition to using the machine for 6 hours a day. Jerry is taking this recovery period very seriously and is working hard at trying to do a little more each day. This was very evident the last two mornings when he let me sleep in and got Grayson up all by himself.
The next question people ask after Jerry, is directed toward me and they all sound the same when they ask, "And how are youuuu doing?" As for me, I'm doing fine. I'm getting a little tired throughout the day and not sleeping well. I'm just like my mom. I don't think that woman has ever slept a full night in her life. She sleeps for a few hours, is up for a little while, goes back to sleep, wakes up again and so on. Well, that pretty much sums up my sleeping pattern now. Like I mentioned before, Jerry helps out when he can with Grayson and it is well appreciated, but the majority of the household duties are still resting on me. I try to keep up with the dishes and laundry. (I secretly look forward to the days when my parents come over because they will do my laundry and dishes. There, I said it.) However, I can't always stay on top of everything (and my parents come over every other week so there is still lots to be done). So if you stop by unannounced, you may see dishes in the sink, toys strewn about the living room floor (sometimes, I'm just too tired to bend down so much and the minute I put them away, Grayson has more out), and laundry waiting to be washed or folded, but that is ok by me.
We've been pretty sedentary for the last few weeks, but are going on our first real outing today. We're hitting up one of our favorite spots, Point Loma Seafood, for some sandwiches. It is a very causal place by the marina so Grayson can sit outside with Jerry and watch the boats and birds, while I get the food. Hopefully, we'll get through it without any hiccups. This is sort of a test period to see how easy it is for all of us. I'm sure we'll be fine--otherwise you won't see us out and about for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment